21st Century Schizoid Band Lyrics Follow
21st Century Schizoid Band were a King Crimson alumnus group formed in 2002.
The name derives from the famous song "21st Century Schizoid Man" from the first King Crimson album, In the Court of the Crimson King. The initial band featured Mel Collins on saxophones, flute and keyboards, Michael Giles on drums, Peter Giles on bass, Ian McDonald on alto saxophone, flute and keyboards, and Jakko Jakszyk on guitar and vocals. All but Jakszyk had previously been members of King Crimson in its early years. Ian Wallace, another former Crimson member from that same period, replaced Mike Giles in early 2003 after the band's Japanese tour. Further international touring followed in 2003/04.
The band played live with sets concentrating on compositions from King Crimson's first four albums and other works from the band members' back catalogues, including McDonald and Giles. They have released four albums, mostly of live work but including newer and/or recent compositions, such as Ian McDonald's "Let There Be Light" (from his solo album Driver's Eyes) and "Catley's Ashes," a Jakszyk instrumental which later appeared on his solo album The Bruised Romantic Glee Club (2006).
The band has been inactive since 2004; with members based in different countries, touring proved to be logistically and financially difficult. The possibility of performing again in 2005 was considered following offers from festivals, possibly with Guy Evans (of Van der Graaf Generator) on drums to replace Wallace who had other commitments, but the idea was abandoned. Wallace's death in February 2007 would seem to have closed the lid on the band for good.
Jakszyk and Collins went on to record as a trio with founding Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp (and with rhythmic support from fellow members Tony Levin and Gavin Harrison) on the Scarcity of Miracles album in 2011. This was followed in 2013 by the announcement of a new King Crimson formation including all five, plus two additional members.
- 21st Century Schizoid Man
- 21th Century Schizoid Man
- Catley's Ashes
- In The Court Of The Crimson King
- Member Introduction
- Formentera Lady
- Ladies Of The Road
- Sailor's Tale
- I Talk To The Wind
- Flute Trio
- Cadence and Cascade
- A Man, A City
- Cat Food
- Let There Be Light
- Schizoid Intro
- Let There Be Light - 21st Century Schizoid Band, McDonald
- Birdman - 21st Century Schizoid Band, McDonald
- Schizoid Intro - 21st Century Schizoid Band, Jakszyk
- Court of the Crimson King - 21st Century Schizoid Band, McDonald, Ian
- Gatleys Ashes - 21st Century Schizoid Band, Jakszyk
- Ladies of the Road - 21st Century Schizoid Band, Fripp
- A Man, A City - 21st Century Schizoid Band, Fripp
- Epitaph - 21st Century Schizoid Band, Fripp
- Improv/Sailors Tale - 21st Century Schizoid Band, Fripp