Byrds Lyrics Follow
Byrds is the twelfth and final studio album by the American rock band The Byrds and was released in March 1973 on Asylum Records (see 1973 in music). It was recorded as the centerpiece of a reunion between the five original members of The Byrds: Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark, David Crosby, Chris Hillman, and Michael Clarke. The last time that all five members had worked together as The Byrds was in 1966, prior to Gene Clark's departure from the band. During the reunion, the current, latter-day line-up of the band continued to make live appearances until February 1973, with McGuinn being the only member common to both versions of the group.
Upon its release, Byrds received generally poor reviews, with many critics bemoaning a lack of sonic unity and the absence of The Byrds' signature jangly guitar sound among the album's shortcomings. Nonetheless, the album reached #20 on the Billboard Top LPs & Tapes chart and was also moderately successful in the United Kingdom, where it reached #31. In the U.S., Byrds was the band's highest charting album of new material since 1965's Turn! Turn! Turn!, which had also been the last Byrds' album to feature Clark as a full member. Three of the album's songs, "Full Circle", "Things Will Be Better", and "Cowgirl in the Sand", were released as singles during 1973 but none of these releases became hits. Byrds is notable for being the last studio album to be recorded by the band to date.
- Chimes of Freedom
- You're Still on My Mind
- Bad Night at the Whiskey
- King Apathy III
- Close up the Honkey Tonks
- Medley: Turn! Turn! Turn! /Mr ...
- Sing Me Back Home
- The Christian Life
- Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man
- Nashville West
- This Wheel's on Fire
- So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star
- Pretty Boy Floyd
- He Was a Friend of Mine
- Time Between
- All I Have Are Memories - The Byrds, Kelley, K.
- Truck Drivin' Man - The Byrds, Fell, Terry
- Strong Boy - The Byrds, Parsons, Gram
- Pretty Polly - The Byrds, Hillman, Chris
- Luxury Liner - The Byrds, Parsons, Gram
- Hickory Wind - The Byrds, Buchanan, Bob
- One Day Week - The Byrds, Parsons, Gram
- Sum Up Broke - The Byrds, Nuese, John
- Radio Spot: Sweetheart of the Radio Album - The Byrds,
- You're Still on My Mind - The Byrds, McDaniel, Luke [Jef
- I Am a Pilgrim - The Byrds, Traditional
- Blue Canadian Rockies - The Byrds, Walker, Cindy
- One Hundred Years from Now - The Byrds, Parsons, Gram
- Reputation - The Byrds, Hardin, Tim