David Wilson & John Ostendorf Lyrics Follow
There are 130 known photographs of Lincoln.
"Lincoln's features were the despair of every artist who undertook his portrait. The writer saw nearly a dozen, one after another, soon after the first nomination to the presidency, attempt the task. They put into their pictures the large, rugged features, and strong, prominent lines; they made measurements to obtain exact proportions; they "petrified" some single look, but the picture remained hard and cold. Even before these paintings were finished it was plain to see that they were unsatisfactory to the artists themselves, and much more so to the intimate friends of the man this was not he who smiled, spoke, laughed, charmed. The picture was to the man as the grain of sand to the mountain, as the dead to the living. Graphic art was powerless before a face that moved through a thousand delicate gradations of line and contour, light and shade, sparkle of the eye and curve of the lip, in the long gamut of expression from grave to gay, and back again from the rollicking jollity of laughter to that serious, far away look that with prophetic intuitions beheld the awful panorama of war, and heard the cry of oppression and suffering. There are many pictures of Lincoln; there is no portrait of him."
See also Wikipedia article on Tad Lincoln for the famous 1864 photograph of Abraham Lincoln with his son Tad, by Anthony Berger.
- Scene III/Iiia: I Was Standing in a Garden/Then Desire Took Hold of Me
- I. Devotions Before Mass -- Hymn and Psalm: A Simple Song
- XIV. Sanctus: Holy! Holy! Holy!
- V. Meditation No. 1
- Pt. II: Allegretto - New York Philharmonic
- XVII Pax: Communion -- Final Hymn
- VI. Gloria
- Ohio - Jacquelyn McKeever, Rosalind Russell
- IV. Pas de Deux - New York Philharmonic
- Conga - Rosalind Russell, Ensemble
- Prelude, Fugue and Riffs for Solo Clarinet and Jazz Ensemble: II. ... - Leonard Bernstein
- Love Theme - New York Philharmonic
- Glitter and Be Gay - Barbara Cook
- VII. Finale - New York Philharmonic
- Opening: New York, New York - Leonard Bernstein
- Cool - Mickey Calin, The Jets
- Prelude, Fugue and Riffs for Solo Clarinet and Jazz Ensemble: III. ...
- Make Our Garden Grow - Ensemble
- Wrong Note Rag - Jacquelyn McKeever, Rosalind Russell, Ensemble
- Overture - Leonard Bernstein
- America - Marilyn Cooper, Chita Rivera, Shark Girls
- "Kaddish" Symphony No. 3: I. Invocation/Kaddish 1 - New York Philharmonic
- Dance at the Gym - The Jets,
- Tonight - Larry Kert, Carol Lawrence
- Prologue - The Jets, , , Orchestra
- Maria - Larry Kert
- I. Enter Three Sailors - New York Philharmonic
- Some Other Time - Chris Alexander, Betty Comden, Adolph Green, Nancy Walker
- Pirate Song - Boris Karloff
- Best of All Possible Worlds - Max Adrian, , Barbara Cook, Robert Rounseville, Chorus