Durrell Lyrics Follow
The Durrell family included:
Lawrence Samuel Durrell (1884–1928), an Anglo-Indian engineer, his wife Louisa Florence Durrell (1886–1964) and their children:
Lawrence Durrell (1912–1990), a diplomat and writer, best known for writing The Alexandria Quartet, in addition to travel literature.
Leslie Durrell (1918–1983),, the second oldest brother. He is described in Gerald Durrell's Corfu Trilogy — My Family and Other Animals, Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods — as having interests in guns, hunting, and sailing, and according to his sister's book Whatever Happened to Margo?, was interested in painting.
Margaret Durrell (1920–2007), ran a boarding house in Bournemouth. Her account of that experience, Whatever Happened to Margo?, was published in 1995, about 40 years after she wrote it.
Gerald Durrell (1925–1995), a popular naturalist, conservationist, television host and author, credited with redefining the modern zoo. Founder of the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.
His first wife, Jacquie Durrell (b. 1929), author, naturalist and television host
His second wife, Lee McGeorge Durrell (b. 1949), author, naturalist and Honorary Director of the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
Lawrence Samuel Durrell, Louisa Durrell and their children were all born in India during the British Raj as was Louisa Durrell's father. Following Lawrence Samuel Durrell's death in 1928, Mrs Durrell and her three younger children moved to the United Kingdom, where Lawrence had already been sent to be educated. In 1935 they moved to Corfu, following Lawrence's earlier move there with his wife Nancy. They remained in Corfu until 1939, when the outbreak of World War II forced most of them to return to England. Gerald's autobiographical Corfu Trilogy and several short stories record the family's time in Corfu, in a heavily fictionalized way.
- A Stiff Whisky
- Memlik - Incurably Venal
- Proof From Maskelyne
- A Very Private Understanding
- Mystery Or Simply A Betrayal?
- An Invitation From Leila
- The Conspirators At Home
- According To Plan
- Narouz - Treading On Quicksand
- An Unexpected Liaison
- 'The Day Of His Death'
- Arrival In Alexandria
- A Briefing From Pursewarden
- The Foreign Office - A Warning
- Leila - Lips Brush Wrist
- Alexandrian Images As Clea Paints
- Promotion - And The Long-Awaited Posting
- Berlin: A Malignant Euphoria
- The Home Of The Coptic Squire
- Ambassador David Mountolive
- Deep In Snow, The Memories
- The Love Of The Inexperienced
- In The Bubble Of The Etoile - Melissa
- The Writer, Ludwig Pursewarden
- Itinerant Diplomacy - And Letters From Egypt
- Across The Waters Of Mareotis
- Nessim's Discourse On Coptic Politics