Emma Kirkby & Steven Lubin Lyrics Follow
The Record of Singing is a compilation of classical-music singing from the first half of the 20th century, the era of the 78-rpm record.
It was issued on LP (with accompanying books) by EMI, successor to the British company His Master's Voice (better known as HMV) — perhaps the leading organization in the early history of audio recording.
The project was accompanied initially by two illustrated books, containing singers' biographies and appraisals, which were published in London, by Duckworth, in the late 1970s. It covers the period running from circa 1900, when the earliest recordings were made, through until the early 1950s, when the last 78-rpm records were produced. Singers are divided into groups arranged according to national 'schools' and fach or voice type. In practice, this means that there are separate Italian, German, French, Anglo-American and East European classifications.
Rather than concentrating on famous singers whose recordings are widely available elsewhere, The Record of Singing includes a large number of lesser-known artists in order to give a broad picture of the contemporary operatic world. Vocal artists of such lasting renown as Enrico Caruso, Nellie Melba, Titta Ruffo, Feodor Chaliapin, Kirsten Flagstad, Rosa Ponselle and Maria Callas are thus represented but by only a few recordings in each case. Nonetheless, no such compilation can ever be exhaustive in scope, and the project has been criticised from time to time since its initial release for overlooking a few important singers who, while largely forgotten today, were highly talented performers who once enjoyed substantial careers and made records of enduring artistic merit.
- Comus: By The Rushy-Fringed Bank - George Frideric Handel
- Ah, lo prvidi!, K272 - Emma Kirkby
- Zaide, K344: Ruhe sanft, mein holdes Leben - Emma Kirkby
- L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato: Sweet Bird, HWV 55:11-12 - George Frideric Handel
- The Creation: On Mighty Pens - Emma Kirkby
- Alcina: Credete al mio dolore, HWV 34:40 - George Frideric Handel
- Zaide, K344: Trostlos schluchzet Philomele - Emma Kirkby
- March In D, HWV 345 - George Frideric Handel
- The Creation: With Verdure Clad - Emma Kirkby
- Alcina: Tornami a vagheggiar, HWV 34:15 - George Frideric Handel
- Nehmt meinen Dank, ihr holden Gonner!, K383 - Emma Kirkby
- Ch'io mi scordi di te?, K505 - Emma Kirkby
- The Tempest: Where The Bee Sucks There Lurk I - George Frideric Handel
- Il re pastore, K208: Aer tranquillo e di sereni - Emma Kirkby
- Comus: Brightest Lady - Thrice Upon Thy Finger's Tip - George Frideric Handel
- Voi avete un cor fedele, K217 - Emma Kirkby
- Il re pastore, K208: L'amero, saro costante - Emma Kirkby
- Alexander's Feast: War, He Sung, Is Toil And Trouble, HWV 75:11 - George Frideric Handel
- Saul: Capricious Man, HWV 53:37 - George Frideric Handel
- Ariodante: Ingrato Polinesso...Neghittosi or voi che fate?, HWV 33:41b - George Frideric Handel
- Dione: Pretty Warblers - George Frideric Handel
- Britannia: Welcome Mars - George Frideric Handel
- Hornpipe - George Frideric Handel
- Alessandro Severo: Ouverture HWV A13 - George Frideric Handel
- Rosamond: Rise, Glory, rise - George Frideric Handel