Gilbert & Sullivan & Lyle Lyrics Follow
For nearly 150 years, Gilbert and Sullivan have pervasively influenced popular culture in the English-speaking world. Lines and quotations from the Gilbert and Sullivan operas have become part of the English language, such as "short, sharp shock", "What never? Well, hardly ever!", "let the punishment fit the crime", and "A policeman's lot is not a happy one".
The Savoy operas heavily influenced the course of the development of modern musical theatre. They have also influenced political style and discourse, literature, film and television and advertising, and have been widely parodied by humorists. Because they are well-known, and convey a distinct sense of Britishness (or even Victorian Britishness), and because they are in the public domain, songs from the operas appear "in the background" in many movies and television shows.
The operas have so pervaded Western culture that events from the "lives" of their characters from the operas are memorialized by major news outlets. For instance, a New York Times article on 29 February 1940, noted that Frederic, from The Pirates of Penzance, was finally out of his indentures (having reached his 21st birthday, as described in that opera).
- Concerted Piece/Dance: Sing A Rhyme
- Recit & Solo Into Duet: I Love You! I Love You!
- Chorus And Dance: Have You Heard The Brave News?
- Song: Oh, Have You Met A Man In Debt
- Chorus: Och! The Spalpeen
- Song: Goodbye, My Native Town
- Song: There Once Was Small Street Arab
- Song: Now This Is The Song Of The Devonshire Men
- Scena: Hassan, The Sultan With His Court
- Quartet: Two Is Company
- Song: Oh, The Age In Which We're Living
- Finale: A Bridal March
- Chorus & Solo: Is There Anyone Approachin'
- Song: If You Wish To Appear
- Recit And Song: I'm Descended From Brian Boru
- Song & Trio: At An Early Stage Of Life
- Duet: Suppose - I Sat, Suppose
- Scena: It Is Past My Comprehension
- Chorus And Solos: Laughing Low
- Quintet: It's A Busy, Busy, Busy, Busy Day
- Trio: I'm The Lord Lieutenant
- Song: Our Tale Is Told
- Chorus: THat We're Soldiers
- Song: In The Heart Of My Desires
- Song: When Alfred's Friends
- Duet: 'Twas In Hyde Park
- Song: O Setting Sun
- Scena: Listen! Hearken My Lover
- Quintet: Their Courage High