Giorgio Tadeo Lyrics Follow
Betty Allen (17 March 1927 – 22 June 2009) was an American operatic mezzo-soprano who had an active international singing career during the 1950s through the 1970s. In the latter part of her career her voice acquired a contralto-like darkening, which can be heard on her recording of Sergei Prokofiev’s Alexander Nevsky with conductor Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. She was known for her collaborations with American composers, such as Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland, David Diamond, Ned Rorem, and Virgil Thomson among others.
Allen was part of the first generation of black opera singers to achieve wide success and is viewed as part of an instrumental group of performers who helped break down the barriers of racial prejudice in the opera world. She was greatly admired by Bernstein and the conductor notably chose her to be the featured soloist for his final performances as music director of the New York Philharmonic in 1973. After her singing career ended, she became a lauded voice teacher and arts administrator.
- L'amico Fritz, opera in 3 acts: O Amore, O Bella Luce Del Core
- Aida, opera: Se Quel Guerriero Io Fossi!..Celeste Aida
- Manon Lescaut, opera: Act 1: Donna non vidi mai
- Il barbiere di Siviglia , opera: Ecco, Ridente In Cielo
- Turandot, opera: Act 1: Non Piangere, Liù!
- L'Arlesiana, opera: Act 2: E La Solita Storia
- Andrea Chénier, opera: Act 4: Come in Bel dì di Maggio
- Mignon, opera in 3 acts: Addio, Mignon
- La belle Hélène, operetta in 3 acts: Au Mont Ida Trois Deesses
- Le Roi d'Ys, opera in 3 acts: Act 3: Vainement, Ma Bien-Aimée"
- Dein ist mein ganzes Herz, for voice & piano
- Roméo et Juliette, opera: Act 2: Ah! Lève-toi, Soleil!
- La bohème, opera: Act 1: Che Gelida Manina
- L'elisir d'amore, opera
- Don Giovanni, opera, K. 527: Act 1: Dalla sua pace
- Tosca, opera: Act 3: E lucevan le stelle
- La fanciulla del West , opera: Ch'ella Mi Creda Libero
- Les Pêcheurs de perles, opera in 3 acts: Je Crois Entendre Encore
- Fedora, opera: Amor Ti Vieta
- Tosca, opera: Dammi I Colori..Recondita Armonia