Guru's Jazzmatazz Lyrics Follow
Guru's Jazzmatazz, Vol. 1 is the debut solo studio album by American hip hop recording artist Guru, released on May 18, 1993 on Chrysalis Records. This album is one of the first albums to combine a live jazz band with hip hop production and rapping. It is the first such project to feature established rappers. Live backing is provided by a band that includes Lonnie Liston Smith, Branford Marsalis, Ronny Jordan, Donald Byrd and Roy Ayers. The album also features vocal collaborations with Carleen Anderson, N'Dea Davenport (of the Brand New Heavies) Dee C Lee and French rapper MC Solaar. The variety of guest artists adds diversity and originality to each track, and gives the album a distinct jazz feel.
Guru, quoted in the album's liner notes, talked about his natural affinity for both jazz and rap. "Jazz's mellow tracks, along with the hard rap beat, go hand-in-glove with my voice," he said.
Jazzmatazz, Vol. 1 peaked at #24 and #91 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums and the Billboard 200 albums charts. The single "Trust Me" peaked at #50 on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles & Tracks chart. In spite of the lagging American sales, Jazzmatazz, Vol. 1 was a commercial success in Europe, where jazz was much more popular in the 1990s.
- Feed the Hungry - Guru
- 7 Grand Yall - Guru, , Solar
- Jazzy Wayz - Guru
- For Ya Mind - Guru, Zion I
- Who Got It on Lock - Doo Wop, , Guru
- Can't Stop the Movement - Guru, Ms. Camille,
- Peace! - Guru, Rhazi Highpower, K-Burna, , , Solar
- Game Needs Me - Blue Scholars, Common Market, , Guru
- Assasino - Guru, Young Pablo
- So What It Do Now - Aceyalone, , Guru
- Knowledge - Guru, Lord Tariq
- We Got That - Guru, , Nature, , Solar
- B-Boy Kamikaze - Diaz Brothers, Doo Wop, , Guru, Tony Touch
- Stand Up - Guru, Damian "Junior Gong" Marley
- Intro - Don Gurizzy
- Too Slick - Guru, Yungun
- Hot Like That - Guru, Medinah
- Back to the Future - C. "Digable" Knowldge, , Guru, , Caron Wheeler
- State of Clarity - Common, , Guru
- No Need for Stress - Guru, Mr. Lif,
- Where's My Ladies?
- Hustlin' Daze
- All I Said
- Mashin' Up The World
- Keep Your Worries
- Night Vision
- Who's There?