Ivor Novello Lyrics Follow
Ivor Novello (15 January 1893 – 6 March 1951), born David Ivor Davies, was a Welsh composer and actor who became one of the most popular British entertainers of the first half of the 20th century.
He was born into a musical family, and his first successes were as a songwriter. His first big hit was "Keep the Home Fires Burning" (1914), which was enormously popular during the First World War. His 1917 show, Theodore & Co, was a wartime hit. After the war, Novello contributed numbers to several successful musical comedies and was eventually commissioned to write the scores of complete shows. He wrote his musicals in the style of operetta and often composed his music to the librettos of Christopher Hassall.
In the 1920s, he turned to acting, first in British films and then on stage, with considerable success in both. He starred in two silent films directed by Alfred Hitchcock, The Lodger and Downhill (both 1927). On stage, he played the title character in the first London production of Liliom (1926). Novello briefly went to Hollywood, but he soon returned to Britain, where he had more successes, especially on stage, appearing in his own lavish West End productions of musicals. The best known of these were Glamorous Night (1935) and The Dancing Years (1939). From the 1930s, he often performed with Zena Dare, writing parts for her in his works. He continued to write for film, but he had his biggest late successes with stage musicals: Perchance to Dream (1945), King's Rhapsody (1949) and Gay's the Word (1951).
The Ivor Novello Awards were named after him in 1955.
- The Dancing Years: I Can Give You The Starlight
- Careless Rapture: Studio Scene
- The Dancing Years: The Wings Of Sleep
- Crest Of The Wave: Why Isn't It You?
- The Dancing Years: My Dearest Dear
- Careless Rapture: Why Is There Ever Goodbye?
- The Dancing Years: Waltz Of My Heart
- Glamorous Night
- The Dancing Years: My Life Belongs To You
- Crest Of The Wave: Haven Of Your Heart
- Theodore & Co.: Oh, How I Want To Marry
- Glamorous Night: Orchestral Pot-Pourri: Her Majesty Militza - Shine Through My Dreams - Fold Your Wings - When The Gipsy Played - Far Away In Shanty Town - Royal Wedding
- The Dancing Years: Orchestral Pot-Pourri: Leap Year Waltz - Uniform - My Life Belongs To You - Waltz Of My Heart - Primrose - Wings Of Sleep - I Can Give You The Starlight - My Dearest Dear - Finale
- Crest Of The Wave: If You Only Knew
- Theodore & Co.: What A Duke Should Be
- Glamorous Night: When The Gipsy Played
- The Dancing Years: Primrose
- Crest Of The Wave: Rose Of England