Paul Williams & William Finley Lyrics Follow
Phantom of the Paradise is a 1974 American musical rock opera horror comedy film written and directed by Brian De Palma, and scored by and starring Paul Williams. In the film, a disfigured composer writes his music for a woman he loves so that she will perform his music. However, a record producer betrays him and steals his music to open his rock palace, The Paradise. Betrayed, the composer dons a new appearance and exacts revenge on the producer. It co-stars William Finley and Jessica Harper.
The story is a loosely adapted mixture of several classic European works: Gaston Leroux's novel The Phantom of the Opera, Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Faust by Goethe/Christopher Marlowe.
The film was a box office failure and received negative reviews; however it earned praise for its music, receiving Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations. Over the years, the film has received much more positive reviews and has become a cult film.
- Upholstery - Beach Bums, Jeffrey Comanor
- Faust - Bill Finley
- Old Souls - Jessica Harper
- Faust - Paul Williams
- Phantom's Theme - Paul Williams
- Goodbye, Eddie, Goodbye - Archie Hahn, Juicy Fruits
- Somebody Super Like You - Harold Oblong, The Undead
- Hell of It - Paul Williams
- Special to Me - Jessica Harper
- Life at Last - Ray Kennedy