Thomas A. Dorsey Lyrics Follow
Thomas Andrew Dorsey (July 1, 1899 – January 23, 1993) was known as "the father of black gospel music" and was at one time so closely associated with the field that songs written in the new style were sometimes known as "dorseys". Earlier in his life he was a leading blues pianist known as Georgia Tom.
As formulated by Dorsey, gospel music combines Christian praise with the rhythms of jazz and the blues. His conception also deviates from what had been, to that time, standard hymnal practice by referring explicitly to the self and its relation to faith and God, rather than the individual subsumed into the group by belief.
Dorsey was born in Villa Rica, Georgia. He was the music director at Pilgrim Baptist Church in Chicago, Illinois, from 1932 until the late 1970s. His best-known composition, "Take My Hand, Precious Lord", was performed by Mahalia Jackson and was a favorite of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Another composition, "Peace in the Valley", was a hit for Red Foley in 1951 and has been performed by dozens of other artists, including Albertina Walker (the "Queen of Gospel"), Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash.
Dorsey died in Chicago, aged 93.
The Library of Congress added his album Precious Lord: New Recordings of the Great Songs of Thomas A. Dorsey (1973) to the United States National Recording Registry in 2002.
- Lord Will Make a Way Somehow - Marion Williams
- Hide Me in Thy Bosom - The Dixie Hummingbirds
- Search Me Lord - Bessie Griffin
- I'll Tell It Wherever I Go - Sallie Martin
- My Desire - Delois Barrett Campbell
- How Many Times - Prof. Alex Bradford
- Take My Hand, Precious Lord - Marion Williams
- I'm Going to Live the Life I Sing About in My Song - Marion Williams
- Never Turn Back - R.H. Harris
- I Don't Know Why - Bessie Griffin
- Thy Servant's Prayer, Amen - R.H. Harris
- I'm Waiting for Jesus - The Dixie Hummingbirds
- Old Ship of Zion - Bessie Griffin
- If We Ever Needed the Lord Before - Marion Williams
- What Could I Do? - Marion Williams
- It's a Highway to Heaven - Prof. Alex Bradford
- Peace in the Valley - R.H. Harris
- If You See My Saviour - Prof. Alex Bradford
- When the Gates Swing Open - The Dixie Hummingbirds