UNLV Wind Orchestra Lyrics Follow
John M Shifflett (March 22, 1953 – April 27, 2017) was an American jazz musician, player of the double bass and also an arranger, composer, and educator, with his last teaching job at San Jose State University.
Shifflett was born in Dubuque, Iowa, attended High-School at Dubuque where he played trombone and began playing bass (see at Sing Out Dubuque, John Shifflett playing his own composition on bass, January 8th 1971), and graduated in 1976 with a BS degree from Iowa State University. While at the University of Iowa, where he was working on a Masters degree, Shifflett was its big band and its jazz combo bass player, appearing at festivals such as the Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festivals in April 1979 and in March 1980.
Shifflett moved to San Jose in 1987, as his wife Bethany was offered a tenure-track position at San Jose State University.
Shifflett played in several notable acts, including Frankie Avalon, the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, the American Musical Theatre of San Jose, Dinah Shore, Mel Torme, Jerry Lewis, Dionne Warwick and the Smothers Brothers. According to his bio by OA2 Records and his San Jose State University profile, Shifflett performed and recorded with key jazz artists such as Dave Liebman, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Red Holloway, Ernie Watts, John Zorn, Kim Richmond, Madeleine Peyroux, Kurt Elling, Norma Winstone, Boz Scaggs, Tom Harrell, Bobby Hutcherson, John Stowell, Harold Land and Kendra Shank. In the San Francisco Bay Area, Shifflett played with Christian Tamburr, Aaron Lington, Paul Tynan, Shay Salhov, Myra Melford, Eric Crystal, Mike Zilber, Scott Amendola, the Taylor Eigsti Trio, the Paul Nagel Trio, the Dave MacNab Trio, Ann Dyer & No Good Time Fairies, the Will Bernard Quartet, Anton Schwartz, Ray Brown's Great Big Band, Ben Goldberg, Tim Volpicella, Jason Lewis, Scott Barnhill, Aaron Wolf and Tim Lin.
- The Maid of Orleans — Three Dances: II. Dance of the Pages
- The Quest: IV. The Reunion
- The Maid of Orleans — Three Dances: III. Dance of the Actors
- Symphonic Dance for Band "Tsuki-no-Utage"
- The Maid of Orleans — Three Dances: I. Dance of the Bohemians
- The Quest: III. The Challenge
- Silverado Overture
- The Quest: I. Magician and the Transformation
- The Quest: II. Siciliana
- Rocky Point Holiday
- La Forza del Destino - Overture
- People Who Live In Glass Houses: III. The Whiskies
- Lux Aurumque
- People Who Live In Glass Houses: IV. Convention of the Cordials, Wines, Whiskies, and White Rock
- English Dances, Set 2, Op. 33: IV. Giubiloso
- People Who Live In Glass Houses: II. The Rhine Wines
- People Who Live In Glass Houses: I. The Champagnes
- 4 Flew Over the Hornet's Nest
- English Dances, Set 2, Op. 33: I. Allegro non troppo
- English Dances, Set 2, Op. 33: II. Con brio
- English Dances, Set 2, Op. 33: III. Grazioso
- Knee High by the Fourth
- Colas Breugnon Overture
- III. La Danza di Belkis all'aurora
- Intermezzo from Gugliemo Ratcliff
- Barnum and Bailey's Favorite March