Vera Lynn Lyrics Follow
Dame Vera Margaret Lynn (née Welch; born 20 March 1917), widely known as "the Forces' Sweetheart", is an English singer of traditional pop, songwriter and actress, whose musical recordings and performances were enormously popular during the Second World War.
During the war she toured Egypt, India, and Burma as part of ENSA, giving outdoor concerts for the troops. The songs most associated with her are "We'll Meet Again", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" and "There'll Always Be an England".
She remained popular after the war, appearing on radio and television in the UK and the US and recording such hits as "Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart" and her UK Number one single "My Son, My Son". Her last single, "I Love This Land", was released to mark the end of the Falklands War. In 2009, at age 92, she became the oldest living artist to top the UK Albums Chart, with We'll Meet Again: The Very Best of Vera Lynn. She released the album Vera Lynn 100 in 2017, to commemorate her centennial year, and it was a number 3 hit, making her the oldest recording artist in the world and first centenarian performer to have an album in the charts.
She has devoted much time and energy to charity work connected with ex-servicemen, disabled children, and breast cancer. She is held in great affection by veterans of the Second World War to this day and in 2000 was named the Briton who best exemplified the spirit of the 20th century.
- Silent Night
- A Christmas Wish
- Do You Hear What I Hear?
- The Little Drummer Boy
- Winter Wonderland
- Mary's Boy Child
- The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot
- Little Donkey
- The Christmas Song
- White Christmas
- Let's Have a Merry, Merry Christmas
- Sleigh Ride
- Somewhere Along the Way / Here in My Heart / Let the Rest of the World Go By
- Roses in December
- Back in Your Own Backyard
- I'll Walk Beside You
- Long Ago (And Far Away)
- Be Like the Kettle and Sing / There's a New World Over the Skyline
- A Nightingale Sang in Berkely Square
- The London I Love
- Land of Hope and Glory
- I'll Always Be in Love With You
- What I Did for Love
- The Homecoming Waltz
- I'll Be With You in Apple Blossom Time
- (There'll Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover
- Bless 'em All / We're Going to Hang out the Washing on the Siegfried Line / Kiss Me Goodnight, Sergeant Major
- It's a Lovely Day To-morrow
- The Village of St. Bernadette