Donkey and the Nightingale - Fable - Aleksandr Mikhajlovich Davydov lyrics
Captain Ward And The Rainbow
Captain Ward and the Rainbow
Our King built a ship, 'twas a ship of great fame
The Rainbow she was called, and the Rainbow was her name:
He rigged her and fitted her and sent her off to sea,
With five hundred bold mariners to bear her company.
She cruised the blue waves over and sailed on many a lee;
At length a wicked pirate we chanced for to see;
He bore right down upon her, and hailed in the King's name,
We knew it was a pirate ship, a pirate of great fame.
"We've got you now, you cowardly dog, you ugly, lying thief;
What makes you rob and plunder, and keep your King in grief? "
You lie, you lie," cries Captain Ward, such things can never be,
I've never robbed an English ship, an English ship but three."
Our guns we trained upon her, as everyone might see;
"We'll take you back to England, and hanged you shall be."
"Fire on ! Fire on !" cries Captain Ward, "I value you not a pin,
If you are brass on the outside, I am good steel within!"
They fought from six that morning till six o'clock at night,
And then the gallant Rainbow began to take her flight;
"Go home! Go home!" cries Captain Ward, "and tell your King of me,
If he reigns king upon the land, I'll reign king on the sea."
From Bronson, Singing Tradition of Child's Popular Ballads
Collected from Mrs. H. R. Murphy, Maine, 1928
Note: I find the last line of the third verse irresistible- RG)
@sailor @pirate @battle
Part of these releases
Popular Nikolaj Shevelev & Lev Sibiriakov Songs
- Mireille/O Légère Hirondell
- Cavalleria Rusticana/O Lola, Tu Ch'hai di Latti - Aleksandr Mikhajlovich Davydov
- Africana/Act 4. O Paradis - Aleksandr Mikhajlovich Davydov
- Song of Triumphant Love/Arioso. O Pure Creature - Nikolaj Artem'evich Shevelev
- Juive/Act 4. Rachel, Quand du Seigneur - Aleksandr Mikhajlovich Davydov
- Ruslan and Ljudmila/Act 1. There Is a Distant Country - Aleksandr Vladimirovich Bogdanovich
- Festival During the Plague/Hymn. When Powerful Winter, Like a Vigilant
- Dobrynja Nikitich: Zabava's Aria - Antonia Vasil'evna Nezhdanova
- Pêcheurs de Perles: Brahma, Grand Dieu - Antonia Vasil'evna Nezhdanova
- Little Slippers/Does the Maiden Hear? - Aleksandr Vladimirovich Bogdanovich
- see all by Nikolaj Shevelev & Lev Sibiriakov
Donkey and the Nightingale - Fable - Aleksandr Mikhajlovich Davydov Video
Comments on Donkey and the Nightingale - Fable - Aleksandr Mikhajlovich Davydov
Submit your thoughts
These comments are owned by whoever posted them. This lyrics site is not responsible for them in any way.
© to the lyrics most likely owned by either the publisher () or
the artist(s) (Nikolaj Shevelev & Lev Sibiriakov) which produced the music or artwork. Details