Putnam Hall Lyrics Follow
Putnam Hall School (opened for pupils Sept 1871; closed 1940) is a bygone notable nonsectarian boarding school for girls formerly located in Poughkeepsie, New York.
Predecessor school, Brooks Seminary
Putnam Hall was the successor to an earlier nonsectarian girls boarding school on the same property. It was named Brooks Seminary for Young Ladies. Brooks Seminary was founded September 1871 – not long after the opening of Vassar College. Mary Bryan Johnson (maiden) was its founder. She and her future husband, Edward White, erected a building on six acres of elevated grounds in the southeastern section of Pougkeepsie at the corner of what then was Southeast and Hanscom Avenues. Due to competition from Vassar Preparatory School, Brooks Seminary moved to 11 Montague Terrace, Brooklyn, New York, around 1880. The last news article of a Brooks Seminary commencement was June 11, 1881 — New York Herald-Tribune.
Putnam Hall School
After an interval of use as a hotel and Vassar dormitory, the Poughkeepsie building and property again launched as a new girls' boarding school in about 1901 under the name of Putnam Hall.
Miss Ellen Clizbe Bartlett, who presided as proprietor and principal of Putnam Hall when it closed in 1940, donated the six acres to the city of Poughkeepsie. It is now a city park, known as Bartlett Park.