Stephen Stubbs Lyrics Follow
Stephen Stubbs (born 1951) is a lutenist and music director and has been a leading figure in the American early music scene for nearly thirty years.
He was born in Seattle and studied harpsichord and composition at the University of Washington where, at the same time, he began to play the harpsichord and lute. He left America after graduation to study the instrument in England and Holland and gave his debut concert in London's Wigmore Hall in 1976. From 1981 to 2013, Stubbs has was teaching at the University of the Arts Bremen in Germany where he was as professor. In 2013, he became an artist in residence at the University of Washington in Seattle. He has performed extensively with his ensembles Tragicomedia and Teatro Lirico, and conducted baroque opera worldwide. He has recorded numerous albums with other famous ensembles like the Hilliard Ensemble and with Andrew Lawrence-King.
He moved back to Seattle in 2006. There he established a program for young professional singers called the Seattle Academy of Baroque Opera, the Pacific MusicWorks early music performance series, and is an adjunct professor at Cornish College of the Arts. He is artistic co-director (with Paul O'Dette) of the Boston Early Music Festival.
On February 8, 2015, Stephen was accompanied by his wife in Los Angeles as he won a Grammy Award for Best Opera Recording for: Charpentier: La descente d'Orphée aux enfers. Paul O'Dette & Stephen Stubbs, conductors; Aaron Sheehan; Renate Wolter-Seevers, producer (Boston Early Music Festival Chamber Ensemble; Boston Early Music Festival Vocal Ensemble).
- Suite g-moll, BWV 995 - III. Courante
- So oft ich meine Tobackspfeife Aria No.20a, BWV 515
- Menuet No.36-Menuet No.15, BWV Anhang 132 & 121
- Aria No.26 BWV 988
- Warum betrubst du dich Aria No.33, BWV 516
- Gib dich zufrieden und sei stille Chorale No.12, BWV 510
- Schaff's mit mir, Gott Chorale No.35, BWV 514
- Prelude and Fugue in C No.29, BWV 846
- Menuet No.4-Menuet No.5, BWV Anhang 114 & 115
- Erbauliche Gedanken eines Tobackrauchers...
- Ich habe genug! Recitatibo No.34, BWV 82.ii
- Schlummert ein, ihr matten Augen Aria No.34/38, BWV 82.iii
- Marche-Polonaise-Marche-Polonaise Nos.16-19, BWV Anhang 122-125
- Musette No.22, BWV Anhang 126
- Wer nur den lieben Gott Laßt walten Chorale No.11, BWV 691
- Dir, dir, Jehova Chorale No.39, BWV 299
- Gedenke doch, mein Geist zurucke Aria No.41, BWV 509
- Wie wohl ist mir, o Freund der Seelen Aria No.40, BWV 517
- Menuet No.14, BWV Anhang 120
- Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme from: Cantata BWV 140/organ prelude BWV 645
- Gib dich zufrieden und sei stille Aria No.13a, BWV 511
- Bist du bei mir Aria No.25, BWV 508
- Rondeau No.6, Les Bergeries BWV Anhang 183
- Willst du dein Herz mir schenken Aria di Giovannini No.37, BWV 518...
- O Ewigkeit, du Donnerwort Chorale No.42, BWV 513
- Suite g-moll, BWV 995 - VII. Gigue
- Suite d-moll - III. Andante
- Weiss - Suite
- Suite (Sonate III) C-dur - II. Courante
- Suite d-moll - IV. Menuet